I copied this recipe from the latest P90X newsletter. It is so healthy and yummy! It's not quite as yummy as my mom's chili. She adds a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg (and I think something else that she isn't telling us about) that makes her chili somewhat addictive. My husband didn't love it, but I did. Maybe people either love chili or they don't? I think he just loves meat, and I am trying to cook more vegetarian meals throughout the week. This recipe is high in protein and fiber.
Recipe: Double Pinto Chili
This recipe is great for vegetarians and spice addicts. The beans and veggies give it a great fiber profile. Plus the more you spice it up, the more you can boost your metabolism.
- 2 tsp. olive or canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 lb. canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 lb. canned white pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Chili powder to taste (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. saltIn a nonstick pan, sauté onion, green pepper, and garlic in oil over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes; cook until tender. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to medium/low, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring several times. Makes 6 servings.Preparation Time: 10 minutesCooking Time: 30 to 40 minutesNutritional Information (per serving):
Calories Protein Fiber Carbs Fat Total Saturated Fat 180 10 g 9 g 33 g 3 g 1 g