Monday, November 8, 2010

The Obvious Explanation

PartsI LOVE this children's book. My kids never tire of it and we always laugh when we read it. My 3-year old carried it around with him all day. It is just a silly and cute book that teaches that baby teeth are supposed to fall out, among other unusual bodily tendencies.

I also love how the book reminds me that children really do think and reason through things differently - and how important it is for parents to explain things so that they can understand them. I often expect my kids to just get it because it is really so obvious. Rarely is this the case, however.

But really, I should understand this better than anyone and thus offer greater explanations to my children. This is because I am usually one of the few who just can't seem to see the obvious answer. I draw conclusions that are the exact opposite of the obvious ones. Sometimes this comes in handy - but it's pretty rare. Maybe if I were in law school it would be a useful trait. But, more than anything, right now it just gives me a greater ability to completely empathize with my children.

1 comment:

Britt-Marie said...

I'll have to check that one out. Thanks for the suggestion.