Friday, January 27, 2012

science!

I was assigned to present a science experiment at my son's cub scout Pack meeting last night.  I had stressed about it intermittently and briefly for months, but didn't get seriously stressed about it until two days before.  Then I mentioned it to a few friends and one gave me this idea:  Ooblack. (A link to the website where I learned about it.)  The boys has a great time managing the cornstarch and water and food coloring... and we made a tremendous mess. Then I stumbled around a bit, (don't get me wrong - I love science!!  It just doesn't come naturally to my brain...), while I discussed non-Newtonian fluids, suspensions, viscosity, quicksand, etc... 

BUT, (fortunately) I think I am officially crossed off their 'Ask This Parent Again' list.

On that note, I am brainstorming with my kids about what projects they want to do for the school science fair this year.  I think it is one of the most important activities kids can do at home with their families during the school year.  It is very exciting and rewarding (I think for both the child and the parent) to go through the scientific method with kids and experiment on their hypotheses.  My friend at OutsideMom.com recently posted about choosing a science fair project.  It's definitely worth the read.  She is an inspiration!  Her science fair project (compared to mine in high school) was like a PhD presentation - seriously!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Hummm. I wonder if I could get a PhD our of that... ;)