Friday, April 2, 2010

Biking LOTOJA

LOTOJA (Logan to Jackson) is a one day, 206-mile bike race from Logan, Utah to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

My husband did this race last year with his dad.

I just read an article that may be of interest to any bike race enthusiasts out there: Cameron Hoffman (a three-time defending LOTOJA champion) has started a website called winlotoja.com that is filled with racing and training tips. Hoffman was quoted in the article saying, "LOTOJA is not an endurance race. It is not a climber's race. LOTOJA is a sprinters' race."

My husband is not a sprinter. When we did triathlons that year, he was in the clydesdale division. But, he has incredible endurance, and he is a climber. At the time, we lived at the base of a canyon. He climbed huge mountains every time he went riding.

Regardless, he loved LOTOJA.

I was his support crew (along with his mom, who was support crew for his dad). I dreaded being his support crew for months before the race, (the idea of driving 206 miles at about 25 mph, maneuvering around other support crew vehicles to find my racer amidst thousands of other races, to give him desperately needed energy drinks, food, and water every few hours, was not so appealing), but it turned out to be an amazing experience for me.

Mostly, I was successful as his support crew because of how well prepared he was. He had trained hard. He knew what he would need at each meeting point along the way. He had it all written down for me. He had experimented with different foods and drinks; he had everything laid out and organized in the back of our van.

I loved seeing my husband up close throughout the race. He impressed me with his focus, preparation, endurance, determination, sacrifice, passion, and love for biking. He was in his element. He was happy. I also loved witnessing the love my husband has for his dad.

The day was inspiring and eye-opening for me. I was grateful to be a witness of all of those things, and to support my husband; but in general it seemed a bit masochistic to me.

My husband can't wait to do it again.

It is interesting how different my husband and I are, yet it is so cool to sometimes get a peak inside at each of our innermost motives, desires, strengths, weaknesses, fears, and most importantly, the love that helps us endure and enjoy life.

No comments: