Friday, December 17, 2010

"Half the Sky"

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide (Vintage)I am reading the book, Half the Sky, by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, right now. A friend lent it to me weeks ago; she told me it is a powerful, upsetting, and gripping book. I waited to start it until I knew I would have time for it. I started reading it on the airplane, when I should have been entertaining my kids to keep them quiet and happy. Quickly, the book won out and held my complete, focused attention, my sorrow and frustration, and my admiration and awe.

It touches on very sensitive subjects, such as sex trafficking, but it has been amazing to read the past few days. It is heart wrenching yet motivating. The personal stories that Kristof and his wife share are incredibly disruptive - to me and my life. It sounds cliche to say that the stories and commentary are inspiring - they are so much more than that.

I recommend it.

No comments: