Thursday, February 17, 2011

a hesitant Crock Pot conversion

I think I need to use my crock pot more often, like three times a week.  I used it yesterday and it was so nice.

Last month I found this article about a site where a girl blogged for a year about slow-cooker recipes.  She cooked a meal in a crock pot every single day of the year.  It is at http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/.  I finally went there today as I needed more ideas and found a few within minutes.  The photos completely make the meals look undesirable, well, actually mostly revolting, but looking past them at the actual recipes, I was impressed.

I honestly think I have no other choice at this point of my life.  The evenings are just so busy, it is hard to find time to cook on weekdays, and often there is a lull in the morning or early afternoon where I can start chopping and sauteing, and the crock pot just... makes sense.  I could never eat crock pot recipes more than two or three times a week though.  Well, even thinking about it that makes me wince, plus I think my husband and kids would possibly revolt.  But, it's better than frozen Costco meals... right?

4 comments:

Jamie Lamb said...

I agree--crock pots have their place, but I wouldn't want to eat a crock pot meal every day! I do like it on Sundays, though.

I'm really trying to streamline my monthly menu plan before my baby arrives, so I've been tossing around a few crock pot ideas...let us know if you come up with anything good!

Liz said...

I will, Jamie, and vice versa! Our favorite is pulled pork, of course, with costco salsa and baby rays bbq sauce.

Britt-Marie said...

Hey! I saw that article in the BYU magazine and my mom-in-law gave me the cookbook for Christmas which was perfect because I have decided to do Crockpot Sundays this year since we now have church at 1pm. Only, one problem is that it takes a lot of planning ahead and I'm not always good about that at 8am. :P So far I've only used it once. But there were some really intriguing recipes in there.

Carrie said...

We do a crockpot once in awhile. Most recently..we did THIS amazing dish. Seriously..incredible. It took about 20 minutes of prep in the morning, and then in the evening I made some jasmine rice (using coconut milk to substitute water) in the rice maker to eat with it. Round it out with a veggie. SO good. It makes a TON though--so you could split in half, and I do 6-8 hours.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t458373.html