Thursday, April 7, 2011

Running and Eating

I accidentally found myself (due to my pride and stubbornness) running 12.4 miles last Saturday.  We met at 5 a.m. to begin an out-n-back on a trail alongside a beautiful lake.  It felt magical and invigorating... until about mile 9.  My body seemed to be shutting down.  I entered 'automatic pilot' mode.  I wondered why I didn't have more strength.  I went to bed late the night before.  I had been eating sweets like a ravenous wolf - for weeks.  Did I need new shoes?

I found this article: 7 Healthy Foods for Runners.  I clicked on it because my husband and I do not especially like pasta, but I was immediately grabbed by the first sentence: "One of the most important factors in distance training is what you put in your body."  The pain from last Saturday - post-race - flooded into my memory.  I was certain that my body's lack of energy was exacerbated by my constant snacking on sweets - for a lengthy amount of time - prior to the run.  Here is the list from the article of some foods that "will help keep you energized":

Black rice (with honey)
Brussels sprouts (the only vegetable I still cannot quite swallow down)
Greek yogurt (more protein than regular yogurt)
Eggs (we get a lot of these - so many that we should have our own chicken coop)
Trail mix (with dried fruit, nuts and seeds)
Maple syrup (the real stuff)
Broccoli (in the article it's referred to as a "nutritional powerhouse")
(These are besides the usual foods: pasta, bagels with peanut butter, and bananas.)

It's worth a try, right?  I think so because I would love to join these girls on a run again - and they don't seem to be running under 10 miles - ever again.

5 comments:

Britt-Marie said...

I've never heard of Black Rice. Thanks for sharing the food list. I need help with this too, I've been eating way to much sweets as well.
I thought I remembered Sabrina saying she has a good recipe for brussel sprouts (roasting them maybe?).

Lindsey said...

People who can run anything over 5 miles amaze me... I might have to start a broccoli diet.

KT said...

My new favorite "treat" is greek no-fat yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon honey, and fresh berries or mango on top! To die for! It is my new "cheesecake" For an even better taste, purchase the full fat version--although that means you have to watch your other fat intake.
As far as running that far and it hurting you, um......that seems completely normal to me!!!
Miss you!

Alicia Larsen Dabney said...

Brussel sprouts have always been unworthy to me...until I tried them roasted. They have a completely different taste.

Wash them and slice them in half. Spread across a baking sheet and drizzle with a light amount of olive oil until they are lightly coated. Add a sprinkling of sea salt or garlic salt. Roast them in the oven at 375-400 for 20 minutes or until tender. Add grated parmesan during the last few minutes of cooking.

Liz said...

mmm... that sounds so delicious!! thanks, Alicia!