Monday, May 9, 2011

Protein... again?

I asked my spin instructor at the Y today what I should do if I have gained weight since January when I started taking spinning and aerobics classes.  (I actually meant 'size' more than 'weight' since I only look to see what I weigh when I go to the doctor's office, and possibly once a year at home on my husband's scale.  Rather, I judge my health by how I feel, and how my clothes fit.)

She immediately responded with: "Women usually don't eat enough, are you eating enough protein?"

I knew that - I guess I needed someone to tell me.  Someone with "authority."  I've been trying hard to eat healthy and eat enough, recognizing that I am pushing my body to work out harder than before.  But, it wasn't working.  All of my clothes are tighter now, (which makes me grumpy from the start of every day).  I wouldn't care if I could just go buy a few new tops and pairs of jeans.  But, I don't want to do that.

It was so easy in college.

Soooo easy.  I lived on chicken, tofu, scrambled eggs, chocolate protein shakes, salad, broccoli, apples, bananas with peanut butter, bagels, and cookie dough.  (This is quote literal.  I am a very boring person.)  I ran five miles every day.  I biked everywhere.  I never needed new clothes, only new running shoes.

But, back to the reality of an aging body, or whatever is going on, I need to find some better habits for eating protein.  I feel like I eat a lot of it already, (though I would like to be vegetarian if I could since I don't like to look at or even think about raw chicken, or any meat for that matter), but now I'll be trying to eat more.

I'll let you know if it works...

2 comments:

Katie Tyler said...

wow- I just had the same conversation with MY spin instructor!! Because the more I work out- the tighter my clothes get!!

P.S. I have been loving Quinoa lately- you probably already love it- but it suppose to be a really good sourse of protein for us Non Meat Lovers!

Lindsey said...

Thanks for the scoop! I have the same bleepity bleepin problem! I'm back in my pregnant pants after starting my first ever regular exercise program. I'll give this a try...