Tuesday, June 28, 2011

whichever way the wind blows, I guess

Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for AfricaWhile on the beach, I finished reading Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There is a Better Way for Africa by Dambisa Moyo.  Moyo presents her argument with simplicity and comprehensive research, and she provides a clear cut plan for alleviating poverty in the many African countries receiving enormous amounts of aid every year.  I was captivated the read, but a bit lost amidst her details involving large and small scale economics.  I immediately felt strongly that I need go back to school and study economics.  

Then, I read Nobody Don't Love Nobody: Lessons on Love from the School With No Name, by Stacey Bess.  It was a wonderful read.  After graduating, Bess is hired to be a teacher for an elementary school in a homeless shelter in Salt Lake City, Utah.  She weaves personal and powerful stories throughout her book as she challenges others to become engaged in the fight against homelessness.  She irrefutably proves that love is the only way to help people - children as well as adults.  I immediately felt strongly that I need to go back to school and get my teaching certificate.

Nobody Don't Love Nobody; Lessons on Love from the School With No Name

During our long walks on the beach, I started hinting to my husband about my plans.  He cut me off - immediately.  "Not until you pay off your other school loans," he said in a teasing voice, but I knew he was serious.  Drats.  He has a point.

No comments: