Sunday, March 14, 2010

OFF EARLY DURING INTERNAL MEDICINE ROTATION

My husband only admitted one patient yesterday. Usually during a long day call the interns admit at least three patients, so, he got off early.

It was a so wonderful!

When he called to say he was on his way home, I was attempting, unsuccessfully, due to multiple requests, to run on our treadmill. My husband needed to exercise also, so, as soon as he arrived, we packed the kids, their bikes, the running stroller, water bottles and snacks into the car. We ran five miles together on a river trail near our house, talked, and enjoyed watching the kids throw rocks into the water, play in the muddy sand, and eventually completely submerge themselves as they chased floating sticks and each other.

Afterwards, my husband took our three older children to practice baseball at the park and I stayed home to put the baby to sleep. I had an entire hour and fifteen minutes to myself. The house was silent. It was completely wonderful. I took a shower. I read. I cleaned up a little. It was totally renewing.

It felt like an eternity.

I decided that I need to quickly forget how nice that was, so that I do not spend energy hoping to again enjoy another little break like that any time soon.

1 comment:

KT said...

I'm so glad you were able to get a good break! You are such a wonder woman. Always have been since I met you. Wish I had half your energy!