Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Healthier Snacking

In an attempt to eat healthier, I am trying to eat less white sugar and white flour, (no way I could eliminate it altogether like my sister-in-law).

Here are some additional ideas for healthy eating from Real Simple magazine. Small meals are the new thing; they supposedly help you: stay lean by keeping your metabolism working, avoid snacking on unhealthy temptations, help you get all of your vitamins, and put you in a good mood.

Here is a list of some of their ideas for small meals / snacks (minus some):

Multigrain waffle with fruit preserves, or honey or fresh berries
One inch cube of hard cheese (like aged Gouda), plus four to six dried apricot halves
Small bowl of pureed tomato soup with a dollop of low-fat sour cream
Slices cucumbers and one or two wedges of light swiss cheese
Energy bar containing at least four grams of protein
Three cups of air-popped popcorn sprinkled with dark chocolate shavings
Rye melba toast with low-fat cream cheese and dried cranberries
Apples slices dipped in a tablespoon of almond butter
Two slices of low-sodium deli turkey and a handful of grapes
Handful of almonds mixed with dried tart cherries or blueberries
Small bowl of plain oatmeal topped with fresh berries and a splash of skim milk
Two to four tablespoons of hummus with crudites
Three-quarters cup of shelled edamame
A multigrain cracker with part-skim ricotta and honey
Piece of low-fat cheese, a small peach, and a piece of dark chocolate
One whole-wheat English muffin with peanut butter
Hard-boiled egg with freshly ground black pepper

Is your mouth watering yet?

As I talk with friends, the most difficult aspect of eating healthy is preparing ahead of time. I always eat healthy right after I get home from the grocery store and my fridge is full of fresh fruits and vegetables, delicious 9-grain bread, and yummy cheese. As time passes and I procrastinate going to the store and I end up reaching for and grabbing whatever I can find, usually a granola bar or some crackers. I'm hoping this list will motivate me more. It sounds so easy - and so delicious!

1 comment:

Keely said...

I prefer to eat these kinds of things...but coming up with ideas is exhausting. Thanks for the head-start!